Friday, May 29, 2015

Followers

By George Takahashi, Turtle Bay:

What matters most is not how many people are following you but instead how strong your connections are to these people. I received a follow from somebody with ten thousand followers. If I do or don't, will it make any difference to them? Or to me? Not one wit. And I purposely keep any with a total of over one thousand followers and following out of my twitter.

"You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don’t try."

I dislike the religious overtones of the term followers. It strikes me the same way as the sensibilities I hear from the internet dance gurus. They use the terms like “disciples” and “marketing apostles” to describe people who consume their content. I don’t know about you, but I’m not trying to build a cult. I’m trying to help build a dancing blogosphere that can be given away.

If there are followers, then there are leaders and this raises an important question. What is the character of those leaders? I was schooled in the notion that servant-leadership is true leadership. This means leaders exist to ensure the success of those entrusted to their care. When I peruse the dance content that exists today, I often ask myself – whom is this content designed to benefit – the leader or the followers? I’ll let you be the judge.

"There I Said It Again" by Vaughn Monroe

But I also struggle to understand why someone would follow you, me or anyone else? This really is the heart of the matter for me. I don’t know about your average work day, but in my average day I barely have time to follow the lunch-line. No. I don’t believe people really follow. So-called followers, in my opinion, are busy executives who have big goals on their plate and not enough hours in the day to get everything done. Sound familiar?


I believe that the leaders in our dance community have the amazing opportunity not to create followers but instead to empower those who connect with us to achieve their dance goals, realize their opportunities and overcome their challenges. This is why blog dance content marketing exists. Smaller is mo bettah!